With great pleasure, we wish to inform you that an agreement was signed in July 2021 between the Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the Director of the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), an autonomous Institute under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Government of India, to host an International Monsoons Project Office (IMPO) at IITM.
IMPO is a joint effort by WMO and IITM to help coordinate the global monsoon research activities of the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) and the World Weather Research Programme (WWRP).
To commemorate the launch of the IMPO, a celebratory event is being held online on 28 February 2022 at 13:00 UTC (18.30 IST), coinciding with the National Science Day in India. The event is being streamed live on IITM’s YouTube channel — see flyer below.
The event will feature brief remarks by the lead stakeholders and a science talk:
- Prof. Dr. Detlef Stammer, Chair, WCRP Joint Scientific Committee
- Dr. Chris Davis, Chair, WWRP Scientific Steering Committee
- Dr. Jitendra Singh, Hon’ble Minister of Earth Sciences, Govt. of India (pre-recorded)
- Dr. M. Ravichandran, Secretary to Govt. of India, Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Dr. Krishnan Raghavan, Director In-charge, IITM
- Prof. C.P. Chang, International monsoon expert, USA (Science Talk)