The WCRP Earth System Modelling and Observations (ESMO) Core Project coordinates, advances, and facilitates all modelling, data assimilation and observational activities within WCRP, working jointly with all other WCRP projects and providing strategic connections to related external programs. It follows a seamless and value chain approach across all Earth system components, disciplines, and scales. The modelling and observational activities under ESMO are central to the provision of science-based climate information to support adaptation planning and decision-making, local and regional climate impact assessments, and national and international mitigation and adaptation policies. ESMO was officially launched by the WCRP Joint Scientific Committee in November 2020.
This call invites the community to nominate candidates (including self-nomination) to become members of the ESMO Scientific Steering Group (SSG).
Involvement in the ESMO SSG brings a range of benefits for participants. As SSG member you will be involved in the core of the international science community that brings together climate modelling and climate observations, with opportunities that include:
- Personal career development through exposure to frontier research activities and exchange with the world’s leading climate modelling and observational scientists within WCRP and experts from external programs.
- Develop and participate in collaborations on climate modelling and observational research.
- Ensuring WCRP climate modelling and observations activities include expertise and ideas from all research areas within WCRP.
- Developing and expanding your network of scientific collaborators within the international research community.
- Having a voice to help strategic planning of WCRP activities at the frontiers of climate modelling and observations.
- Provide input to coordinated activities on exploiting new and emerging technologies including machine learning, new observing platforms and citizen science contributions.
- Contributing to the professional development of the next generation of scientists and scholars.
How to apply
If you are interested in joining the SSG, please submit your application via the online form by 10 March 2023. Self-nominations are welcomed. Please circulate and distribute this call among your communities and networks.
Please direct inquiries about the nomination and selection process to Nico Caltabiano (tni.o1675675353mw@on1675675353aibat1675675353lacza1675675353va1675675353) at the WCRP Secretariat.